Sunday, July 9, 2017

Thoughts of Singapore

I didn't know much about Singapore when we first arrived.  Surprised to find they drive on the left side of the road, but don't necessarily walk on the left side of the sidewalk.  Many confusing moments trying to navigate my way through the crowds.  Escalators were to be found to the left and right, that didn't help.  I even asked locals who seemed surprised by my question and said, "you just go where ever". 

Many buildings, that I call "see through building", where the architect stop the building and changed it up with just pillars before continuing on.  Often plants have been placed in the "see through" part, bringing the outside in.


View from our hospital room.  You may need to look closer to see the "see through" part. 



Another country without pennies and therefore you have to round up to pay for items.  I was a little too use to Chinese money.  I would look at $6.85 and say, wow a $1!  Oh wait it is $6 or in USD $5.  It took me a good week to get the pricing down.  Much more expensive!  But on the bright side western products were easily found and trusted that they were legit.

FYI the women don't really buy/wear skirts.  I looked for days trying to find a skirt.  If a store did happen to have skirts it was usually just one or two, rarely a cotton skirt.  I finally found a few that I would have been willing to buy except for the fact that they were way more than I would ever spend on a skirt and therefore had to pass them by.  They mostly wear what they call "one-pieces" or what I would call a dress.  I did see some women walking around wearing skirts, which may just be a sign they were tourists. . . ?

Found an awesome book store that had many books in various languages, English and Chinese being the biggest sections.  I have an addiction to buying books so I didn't allow myself to look to closely as this store sold at top price.  I did finally find a puzzle book to help occupy our time.

I can't say for sure if Singapore is all expensive as we were in the shopping district.  I have a feeling it is more on the expensive side but there are ways to shop at more reasonable prices that only the locals know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment